About Lake George United Methodist Church
The Lake George Church was formed in the 1860’s
The church exists to make disciples for Jesus Christ
and serve all God’s people in the Greater Lake George Area
All Are Welcome
As followers of Jesus Christ our Church members believe in
“Open Hearts” Open Minds” and “Open Doors”
Adirondack District of Upper New York Conference
We are members of the Adirondack District in the
Upper New York Conference of The United Methodist Church
A Brief History
Lake George First United Methodist Church
A brief history of our Church was taken from a cookbook “The Art of Cooking”. The cookbook was created by the United Methodist Women. It is estimated the book was created in the 70’s.
METHODISM in our area, according to Conference minutes began about 1860.
An outstanding date in the history of our local Methodist Church is 1884. A Chapel was erected in 1885. The warranty deed was made the 28th of February, 1901.
Henry Worden, a local resident, was the master builder of the church edifice. It was interesting to note that in the early days the only woman to serve on The Board of Trustees was Lillian Burton Lockhart, affectionately known as “Grandma Lockhart.”
Fourteen years later, 1899, the prayer room with the steeple was added to the Chapel. Also new Gothic stained glass windows and new pews were installed.
In 1900 on January 3rd, the Church was incorporated under the name of The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Caldwell. The bell in the church steeple was given by Mrs. Fred Hawley. It had been the bell on the Gage Hill School.
During the pastorate of Rev. Joel Shippey, due to a faulty furnace, the Church was damaged by fire. The quick action of Miss Beulah Brown, a near neighbor, who discovered the fire and called for help, saved the church from being completely burned.
In 1954, the present kitchen was added on. The plans were made by Mr. Edward Ellis, a summer resident, and active friend of the Church, The year 1954 was important also because the Hammond electric organ was purchased and installed.
The members and visitors have enjoyed the fine musical talent of Miss Leona Hogarth at the organ since 1958.
On April 23, 1968, The Methodist Church and The Evangelical United Brethren Church merged to become known as The United Methodist Church.
For many years in the 1930’s, it was the custom for the ladies of the church to hold weekly chicken, biscuit and gravy dinners during the summer season. In more recent years, it has become a tradition to hold the Election Night Dinner and to have frequent bake sales.
Due to the fine response we have had at our Suppers and Food Sale, the United Methodist Women share with you some of their favorite recipes.